Intermediate Staff Accountant – Audit and Assurance
Khalfans – BIG Firm Capability, Small Firm Personality
Khalfans is a growing accounting firm providing exceptional service to private companies and their owners, as well as to small to mid-size Not-for-Profit organizations in the Calgary and surrounding areas. Our mission is to provide high quality and timely accounting, assurance and tax services with the aim to be a "trusted advisor" to our clients.
Are you looking for an opportunity to work in a great environment where you are valued, and have an opportunity to grow professionally?
Khalfans is seeking an Intermediate Level Staff Accountant to join our practice in Calgary, AB. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to be involved with all facets of our practice by working closely with our Assurance, Accounting and Tax teams on a variety of Not-for-Profit and Private Enterprise clients.
We are looking for an energetic professional who leads by example, can multi task to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment, and always goes the extra mile to provide exceptional and timely service to our clients. This role requires someone with a strong auditing and accounting background and a desire to help clients meet their needs.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities:
- Senior Audits and other Assurance Engagements and supervise audit team members on larger files, to ensure quality completion of all working papers and checklists, adjusting journal entries, and finalization of financial statements in accordance with Firm and regulatory standards (ASNPO and ASPE), for small to midsize Not-for-Profits and Private Enterprise clients
- Review and or prepare Notice to Reader compilations, including completion of all working papers, adjusting journal entries, and financial statements in accordance with Firm and regulatory standards, for small to midsize Not-for-Profits and Private Enterprise clients
- Coordinate and communicate directly with clients, staff and partners to ensure efficient and timely completion of client files, to meet deadlines and client service expectations
- Proactively identify engagement issues, investigate discrepancies, discuss with engagement partner and recommend solutions
- Identify process improvements for future assignments and share this knowledge and experience with other team members, including junior staff
- Keep abreast of evolving accounting and assurance standards and their implications for our clients
- Prepare and or review corporate, personal and trust income tax returns
- Mentor junior accounting staff as they work their way through the CPA program
- Complete special projects as needed and other duties assigned
How Do We Define Success?
- You demonstrate Khalfans’ values of Respect, Integrity and Competency
- Our clients see you as a positive professional that provides high quality work with a “can-do” attitude
- You effectively communicate with our clients, government agencies and with our partners and staff
- You are actively engaged in professional development through continuous learning, training and communication
- You keep up-to-date on content and practical applications of accounting and assurance standards, and know how to access and research professional and technical materials
Qualifications and Competencies:
- CPA Designation or nearing completion
- Must have a minimum of 2 to 3 years of relevant Canadian public practice experience
- Must have experience with conducting all aspects of Not-for-Profit Audits and Assurance Engagements
- Experience with Notice to Readers Compilations and preparation of personal and corporate income tax returns would be an asset
- Proficiency in CaseWare, Jazzit and Intuit Profile
- Demonstrates a high commitment to quality client service, quality of work, compliance with Firms’ policies and procedures, professional ethics and integrity
If you have the above qualifications and are interested in joining our growing team, please apply at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer. We thank all candidates who apply, however only those selected for a personal interview will be contacted. No phone calls and/or agencies please. All applicants should have current legal working rights in Canada. As part of our interview process, you may be subject to background inquiries.